Thursday, June 16, 2022

Ilya Ehrenburg: Babi Yar (a poem, 1944)


Pablo Picasso: Ilya Ehrenburg, "pour Toi mon ami", 29 août 1948. From: Rupert Moreton, at Lingua Fennica, 10 Jan 2018.

What use are words and what’s a pen,
When on my heart this rock is weighing,
When like a convict’s ball and chain
Another’s burden I’m conveying?
I used to be a city-boy,
And life for me was full of pleasure,
But now in deserts without joy
The graves I dig are all my treasure.
Now every deep ravine I’ve seen,
And home to me is each ravine.
I have become this woman’s cherished –
Whose hand I kissed once years ago –
And yet on earth before I perished
This woman then I did not know.
My dear one! See my scarlet blushes!
And all the kin I cannot count!
Your screams my ears assault in rushes
From every pit their echoes mount.
Our strength we’ll gather, then ascending
With rattling bones we’ll start to knock –
Where breathe, with bread and fragrance blending,
The cities where still people flock.
Turn out the lights. Pull down flags’ dressing.
It isn’t us – ravines are pressing.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

К чему слова и что перо,
Когда на сердце этот камень,
Когда, как каторжник ядро,
Я волочу чужую память?
Я жил когда-то в городах,
И были мне живые милы,
Теперь на тусклых пустырях
Я должен разрывать могилы,
Теперь мне каждый яр знаком,
И каждый яр теперь мне дом.
Я этой женщины любимой
Когда-то руки целовал,
Хотя, когда я был с живыми,
Я этой женщины не знал.
Мое дитя! Мои румяна!
Моя несметная родня!
Я слышу, как из каждой ямы
Вы окликаете меня.
Мы понатужимся и встанем,
Костями застучим – туда,
Где дышат хлебом и духами
Еще живые города.
Задуйте свет. Спустите флаги.
Мы к вам пришли. Не мы – овраги.

Ilya Ehrenburg, 1944, first published in Novyi Mir, this is the later version published in 1959. Only the later version was titled "Babi Yar".
Translation by Rupert Moreton, at Lingua Fennica, 10 Jan 2018.

No comments: