Sunday, June 28, 2026

Il Cinema Ritrovato XL edizione (Bologna 2026)

 
Barbara Stanwyck in a studio publicity photograph (n.c.) for Paramount Pictures.

BARBARA STANWYCK/MITCHELL LEISEN
MITCHELL LEISEN
Cradle Song (US 1933)
Easy Living (US 1937)

CINEMALIBERO
... Et vint la liberté / ...And Then Freedom Came (Sékoumar Barry, GN 1967)
Oghneyet-Touha-Al-Hazina / The Sad Song of Touha (Atteyat Al Abnoudy, EG 1972)
Lintizae Alkahraman / The Dislocation of Amber (Hussein Shariffe, SD 1975)
Dayereh-ye mina / The Cycle (Dariush Mehrjui, IR 1976)
Amma ariyan / Report to Mother (John Abraham, IN 1986)

DAISUKE ITO
Osho / The Chess Master (JP 1948)
Oborokago / The Inner Palace Conspiracy (JP 1951)
Oedo gonin otoko / Five Men from Edo (JP 1951)

RECOVERED & RESTORED
La Dérive / The Drift (Paula Delsol, FR 1964)

POST FESTUM: TOP OF THE POPS

MY FAVOURITE:
Amma ariyan / Report to Mother (John Abraham, IN 1986)
MAJOR DISCOVERY:

HEAT WAVE
Extreme weather and record temperatures struck Europe in 2026. A red alert heatwave hit Bologna during Il Cinema Ritrovato, putting us in danger.
    As a Bologna stalwart, I am used to heat and have even guided newcomers (stay in the shadow, wear a UV proof hat, drink too much, avoid a heavy lunch, get your exercise in the morning).
    This year the heat hit me in the evening from below. After weeks of heat, the city streets and buildings had turned hot. An engineer friend informed me that the Piazza Maggiore street temperature in the evening reached 41 grades Centigrade. I felt suffocated.
    I got a heatstroke, and it took weeks to recover. The air-conditioning in the cinemas was good, but I was no more capable of viewing films or writing about them. For the last six days of the festival I was forced to a siesta in my room. With one exception: La Dérive.
    I am used to heat but not extreme heat. 35 grades is my limit to stay in focus.

"Heat Wave" in There's No Business Like Show Business (US 1954, D: Walter Lang). Starring Marilyn Monroe. Words and music: Irving Berlin. Choreography: Jack Cole. Costume: Travilla.

No comments: