Saturday, March 11, 2017

Otila Magic Blues



Tampere Film Festival
Kotimainen kilpailu 10
P32 | 10.3. FRI/PE 12:00 | PLEVNA 5
L13 | 11.3. SAT/LA 14:00 | PLEVNA 2

OTILA MAGIC BLUES

Pasi “Sleeping” Myllymäki | Finland 2016 | Experimental, documentary | 23 min

Theme song: "Otila Magic Blues".

TFF: An experimental and episodic movie about my roots, my dreams, my experiences and my philosophy.

Kokeellinen ja episodimainen elokuva juuristani, unelmistani, kokemuksistani ja filosofiastani
. TFF

AA: A completely different new film from the wizard of the Finnish underground 8 mm cinema, Pasi "Sleeping" Myllymäki. Wise, witty and compelling.

"If you are different don't fix it but discover it" (motto of the movie).

"I am a very ordinary farmer's son from Finland." The first part of the movie is largely a remembrance of the rural past. "I have just turned 65. Tragic, not because I'm no longer young, but because I am no longer mad."

Otila Magic Blues is mostly a straight documentary record, but mixed with abstract images, negative footage, and psychedelic inserts.

"More important than finding one's way is to find the one who travels it."

"Never a man of the golden mean, I am the one who takes the path seldom taken."

"My grandfather's medicine to the creaking door: the essence from a bull's testicles."

"He said also that it is the stupid one who wants to talk."

"Few will understand my inverse irony."

"Is life a distressing race? Certainly not".

We are taken to the secret power spring in the forest revealed by grandfather. The water still works miracles, changing the colour of Pasi's car and making a sturdy barn built by the grandfather fly into the sky.

I particularly like the first movements of this film.

No comments: